Friday 7 November 2014

World MasterCard Fashion Week: Mercedes-Benz Start Up Award pt 3

Happy Friday,

This week will conclude my little overview of the World MasterCard Fashion Week Mercedes-Benz Start up designers. I've seen a variety of approaches to Spring/Summer wear during the last three weeks and it's making me really miss my summertime paycheques. I'd like to splurge on the designer's current fall lines, they are just so beautiful and cozy (I swear, the key to my heart is a gorgeous knit).

If you haven't visited their websites, go back to my previous posts and do it, trust me.

Unfortunately for my closet, but fortunately for my future I've gone back to school, I'll probably get into it in a little more depth in next weeks post where I'll be talking about a play as part of a school assignment. I'll see what my week looks like and perhaps I'll post a quick little something extra to keep it on track. 

ANYWAYS! Onto the final two designers on the list!

Hello Eliza Faulkner!
A Vancouver designer who cut her teeth in the U.K. Her designs are conceived and produced in Vancouver. Her designs are fresh and crisp, but the fabrics retain a fluid look to them. It's probably the most put together you could look wearing denim without throwing a blazer over your outfit.
The aesthetic of the website really reminds me of cozy Canadian things in late August.

I got pretty excited when I saw an abundance of my favourite late 90's look. Say what you will, but preteen Jessica loved a halter top. 

Late 90's prints were not limited to just one stripe, but a collection of them like a rainbow made up of either coordinating colours or complimentary colour combos. This dress makes me want to go to brunch, or a picnic. I love the strategic way the print nips the waist and flows away from the body. I personally think that with patterns you have to be conscious of how they match up when you put the raw edges together, for the sake of drawing the eye where you want it.

 Another 90's throwback, the contrast denim panel. I think since the revival of the denim shirt, they've gotten a little boring, and sometimes you don't want it to be polka dotted, or floral printed. I really adore the contrast and pop of dark cuffs and pocket flaps. I really like the collar being left in the same colour as the body of the piece. I think if it was in the dark tone, the whole thing would be too heavy.

I can't say it enough, I love a maxi dress, I love ones that show off shoulders. This whole thing is a yes, however, I'd like to have seen something different in the hat. I would maybe tie a scarf around the head, one with a bold pattern (I know, contrary to the above screen cap). The beauty of a Maxi is what you can accessorize with it. I love to load up on huge pieces of jewellery, here I'd throw on a bib necklace and maybe a cuff. Because this kind of dress is really like a huge swath of fabric, they can be monotonous, for this is can be a perfect canvass for big jewellery.



Beaufille 
Founded by two sisters who studied in Nova Scotia now based in Toronto. The Gordon sisters named the brand after the French word for handsome girl after the aesthetic they aim for. The sisters design menswear inspired clothing, essentials for the fashion forward "Tough girl" aesthetic. The sisters operate the brand by division of labour. Parris handles the accessories while Chloe designs the clothes.

The site is full of street-style inspired outfits photographed in an editorial style.


I felt this piece was contradictory to the tough-girl aesthetic, it's such a lady-like outfit. The cutouts give the set interest and a just a dash of edge. The black flat sandals anchors the look, because the fabric is so gauzy and transparent.

I love the pattern here with the grey scale. The coat is fantastic, I'd wear it over a bright solid dress, or maybe exchange the shirt for a colour. I love the lines of the coat paired with the pattern. It reminds me of an art book I had growing up that told me the first step to anatomy is to create women with circles and men with rectangles. 

There were a few pieces that utilized this burgundy leather pieces. I felt the colour was an odd choice especially for Spring, I think it's because this tone is so traditionally a Fall colour. I thought this particular outfit was a good use of it, a splash of colour on a tough material for balance with the light high-shine fabric used in this set.



There you have it, I hope you enjoyed my quick look at the designers up for the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Start Up Award.

Let me know what you think of the designers in the comments below. Have a restful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment