Friday 31 October 2014

World MasterCard Fashion Week: Mercedes-Benz Start Up Award pt 2

Happy Halloween!!


Welcome back to my delayed World MasterCard Fashion Week special!
As I mentioned in my last post, I'll be featuring the candidates for the Mercedes-Benz Start up Award. The screen shots below are featured from the WMCFW which I've taken off the website.

Without further ado,
BLAK.I

Founded in 2010 by Helder Aguiar and Diego Fuchs, the focus of their designs is to "bring out a woman's inner cool." They consider their pieces a foundation to build on, but they are beautiful on their own. The patterns are bold and silhouettes are flattering.


This maxi dress looks incredibly comfortable. I'd probably wear it out at night, just like the model is styled here. I'd probably change the shoes to something more fun and colourful though.


The silhouette of this dress is simple, it's high neckline is demure and contrasts with the print in a modern way. It is perfect for experimenting with unconventional jewellery like the body chain capping her shoulders. I also really like the piping that goes down the front of this dress.


The pattern reminds me of computer rendering, with everything coming up floral. Like I mentioned in my previous post, fashion can be infused with multiple elements. It's fun to wear your interests.
I'm also a fan of this cut, it's super comfortable and creates a nice draping effect.


Laura Siegel

Based out of New York and Toronto, this designer works with artisans from Asia and Latin America to create a globally inspired fashion line. She works with everything from Silver to knit wear. Her website has this explorer feel to it, kind of channeling an Amelia Earhart meets the modern incarnation of Laura Croft (of the Tomb Raider franchise).

Another thing to mention about Laura Siegel is Project Eleven27, which she founded after the tragic collapse of a garment factory in Bangladesh nearly two years ago. Scarves are made by artisans to honour the lives lost and to raise awareness for the unethical treatment of garment workers. Proceeds go to families of those effected in the collapse. 


I can't pass up a great maxi dress, it's my weakness. They look so great with the right styling, the necklace the model is wearing is fantastic. The disks are playful and they contrast against the vertical elements of the dress really well. I especially like the layering of the choker with the length of the silver necklace, which somehow manages to look incredibly light.


The layered choker and necklace repeat here, I like them paired with the cuffs around the wrist and biceps. what I liked most about this look was the colour block and pattern. On the top you have this light airy material with the lined pattern (which appeared several times during the show) and it just looks like it's floating over the body. Look down and you have this block of black fabric that takes the dress to a midi level anchoring the dress down, this visual balance is just so pleasing.

The recurring pattern also appeared on a washed out lavender fabric on a few other pieces. The fabric in the skirt just floats away from the body beautifully, while the block pattern creates length. The use of opposing textures lends to balance here. Silk and leather are as far away from each other as you can get, it makes for a jarring combination. The scarf and hardware tie it all together.


I just wanted to include this outfit because I felt it was out of place with the rest of the collection, and that's not a bad thing.  I think this is the perfect thing to wear while transitioning from the cooler temps or maybe something you might wear at the end of August.


Let me know what you think about these designers in the comments below!

Have a safe and happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment