Friday 24 October 2014

World MasterCard Fashion Week: Mercedes-Benz Start Up Award pt 1

It was the 2014 World MasterCard Fashion Week (for Spring/Summer 2015 collections) and while I was at home focused on my city's civic election, I was lamenting about not having been able to write daily posts like I had hoped to in September, but sometimes things don't always go as planned.

I find it's always a little strange writing about Fashion Week because the collections shown in fall are always Spring/Summer and the collections shown in spring are always Fall/Winter. It's a big tease right now because the weather is still pretty nice over here and in the back of my mind, and in my bones, I know it's all about to end, winter is coming.

I'm sorry if I've made you cry, but that's just what happens after every October. At least we are treated to a gorgeous collection of natural colours as the sun sets and makes the leaves look like they're on fire. I like to think that Fashion Week gives us something to hold onto while we wait for the Earth to circle the Sun until it's summer again. It's a refresher and it works the same way in the spring when we have mastered looking good in layers and layers of thick, rich materials. Oh the boots, coats and scarves, the best part! Yes, I love summer but I also feel sad putting away my favourite sweaters for next season. When Fashion Week is over and the winds really start to chill, I'll get excited about my sweaters but not today!

Enough about winter, onto Spring/Summer '15! Instead of giving you one incredibly long post about the designers up for the Mercedes-Benz Start Up Award, I'll post in a few different posts, not only because it's overwhelming but because the beauties aren't going to be released until 2015 also I find that less is more.

(by the way, if you click over to WMCFW you can link to bios and videos of the runway shows)

First up: Sid Neigum
The recipient of the Mercedes-Benz Start Up Award.

Born in Alberta, trained in NYC and based out of Toronto. He has a website but I was having a little difficulty navigating it.

My favourite thing about this designer is the texture of his clothes. The sumptuous materials shone under the lights but stayed in a neutral colour palate of greys, warm whites and deep black. There was a lot of visual interest, texture and shine. Each piece tailored and comfortable, visually looking like an absolute pleasure to wear.

Take a look at this beautiful dress and wrap. Don't tell me you wouldn't wear this on a date. It shows the perfect peek of skin on the shoulders paired with a rouched high collared minidress. This is what I think of when I think about the sexy balance between concealed and exposed skin.


The cutouts here are on-trend and yet they are in new playful geometric shapes which remind me of diamonds, Marilyn did say they were a girl's best friend! In all honesty though, this is perfect for going out at night, it looks sexy and demure, I think I'd wear it out with a fitted coloured blazer and some simple two strapped sandals like the ones p pictured


Of the lighter neutrals, this was my favourite. I love it for the sleek lines in the draped cape, and how they flow while in motion. The contrasting lengths have this balanced element to them, the high-low contrast of the hem lines and the draping over the torso create a visual interest. 


Vaiken by Valerie Tolila

Born in Montreal she studied law before going overseas to work as a stylist for 13 years. She returned to Canada to study fashion, and mentored in Portugal before launching Vaiken.

In the biography on her website she sums up her mission statement.
"I want to create real clothes. Many pieces are for everyday use as well as a night out. The quality of the fabric used and the fit are most important to me."


I love this minidress because the detail reminded me of film strips. 
I love film and careful, deliberate details.
It's a way that fashion incorporates another art form onto itself. The adaptability of dressing yourself to your moods and interests is one of the reasons I really love clothing. You can choose to pay homage to anything that speaks to you and it becomes timestamped by the trends of the time.

 This dress is poolside decadence. I like the touch of sparkle loosely hung around the waist, framed by the not-so-dainty bows on the hips. The best detail? Functional pockets.
It's an effortless glamour and it's so easy, I don't think I'd wear much more than a pair of metal stud earrings and a thin ring for the evening and maybe swap out the heels for flats sandals and wooden rings and bangles for day time wear.







No comments:

Post a Comment