Friday 20 March 2015

I photographed my first fashion show!

Hi everyone,

To stop any possible confusion, please note that I was not hired to photograph a show. I was invited by the local aboriginal designer Edna Nabess to her showing at the Alternative Energy and Food Sovereignty conference and tradeshow.

The event was small and full of people in the Cree nation from (as far as I knew) all over Manitoba. I didn't know initially that I was showing up at a conference. I watched a few short films about geo-thermal heating, chicken harvesting (how they're raised to be specific) and gardening practices for northern communities. It was really insightful because I can say honestly that I wouldn't think about it otherwise.

Once the short films were over, we were treated to Juno nominated artists Rhonda Head, Don Amero and Leonard Sumner. Each of them was fantastic. Beautiful singer/songwriters in their styles, it was lovely to be a part of.




Rhonda Head singing a cover of "At Last."
She has a voice like honey-sweetened lemon tea. She dedicated a beautiful Latin funeral song for all the missing and murdered indigenous women. It was moving, to say the least.
Don Amero or the triple threat, dancer, singer and good-looking man. The room gave him so much love. He's really talented; he played a beautiful and simple cover of John Legend's All of Me as well as his own music.

His original music was powerful and uplifting. It's amazing what can come out of tragedy.

He's got an album due in May
Leonard Sumner who had my full attention. He opened with an incredible spoken word piece. It was so melodic; he just had to have my attention.

I loved this set. The ruffled plaid maxi skirt and crop top in these colours make the perfect transitional outfit. I would wear this for that in between spring weather.
I had to include this photo; this model was great, and I just loved the way the light illuminates her face here. This piece is deconstructed to look like it's from another time, but the shoes and the cut of the skirt make it contemporary.










This photo was a favourite of mine. The long fringe and those pumps were like an aboriginal take on the Jazz Age to me. The back is mostly exposed except for one strap that has a teal tulle train fitted with small brown bits of fabric. I wasn't close enough to see clearly. Perfect colour combinations.

It's just whimsical and beautiful.
This is an edgier look, but I'd wear it out in the fall or winter for sure. Mostly leather, with a little plaid panelling in the front, I would imagine this as something Vivienne Westwood would wear.

It was styled with short black booties and a traditional beaded necklace.
This was another photo I liked. Her face says she's not here for your shit.

She's got a traditional Metis suede jacket with leather leggings and deep brown mukluks.
Same model but different jacket. I unfortunately don't have any better photos of the jacket but it was really cute with a tulip motif down the sides and back.

In this picture, you can clearly see the bears on the mukluks. They are so cute and the boots look so warm and cosy.

Edna Nabess also designs for Manitobah Mukluks. She designed and made a pair that were gifted to the royal baby.




I want to thank Edna Nabess for inviting me to the Alternative Energy and Food Sovereignty Conference the other day. I wasn't able to get an interview with her for a school project but I was able to see some really incredible things. You can find her designs at CreeAtions.

No comments:

Post a Comment