Friday 13 March 2015

Sprague Manitoba

Happy Friday everyone,

This week was kind of hectic for me so I wasn't thinking much about this blog, sorry haha.
I did come across a happy coincidence though, a story and a post.

For school we were assigned to travel anywhere near Winnipeg and two of my friends and I chose this hidden away town called Sprague. It was founded by a german family that handled logging and provided lumber to a few nearby cities, primarily Winnipeg. This town has a historical museum full of things donated by residents of the town.

Since this is a style blog, I'm going to tell you about some of the old garments we found looking through the museum. I should note that this museum is closed during the winter months so we walked through exhibits covered in tarps.

Anyways, here are a few photos from my trip.

Below you'll see my friend Laura Weins, Christina Hryniuk and our lovely guide Regina Emes. She's 86 and has lived in Sprague for the majority of her life, save the few years she spent in Winnipeg.




We're standing at the entrance where the original town sign hangs as you enter the museum.












This is a cute little game with wood samples, I guessed Pine correctly. So proud of myself.






These wayfairer lookalikes are actually the safety glasses that people were given at the lumber mill. You can't see by the marker but they were standard issue in the 1950's.






This was a hat worn by the original owner of the Sprague hotel. It was a simple trucker hat with glitter letters so we can now all discredit Ashton Kutcher for the prominence given to embellished trucker hats. Sprauge hit it first.

Regina, or Reg as her friends call her, showed us this beautiful dress. It was designed and made  by the bride's sister. If I remember correctly she said it was satin with lace overlay.
I wasn't able to see the back of the gown, but Reg told me it had a line of looped buttons from the back to the dropped waist.


This dress reminded me so much of the dress Belle wore in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
It must be the precious little bodice detail.

Below is a copy of the Bride and Groom's wedding photo.

I was so scared to touch this dress because I feel like I have the kind of luck that would result in a ripped seam so what I saw through my lens was as close as I got.


 

In case you were wondering, Reg has donated her wedding dress to the museum too. Unfortunately, it was put away for storage. She reminisced about getting married during the tail end of the war, she was the only person in Sprague to get married in a short skirt.






Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment